March 22, 2009

What Great Insights can you get from a Horror Movie?

So I finally watched 13B. And I was scared. Well, to be frank I have been scared of every single movie since I was made to watch Evil Dead at a tender young age. Since then even Andhaa Kanoon can scare me. When I hear about Kanoon Ke lambe haath, I am reminded of extendable arms of The Ramsay Brothers ghosts. I am even scared of the women in this year’s Roadies.

Anyway about 13B. The story is interesting. There’s this family that go and start living in a flat 13B. Definitely the location is not Mumbai. Such a big flat seems incredibly impossible to afford. Anyway, so our dude Madhavan comes to stay in this flat. And a serial starts coming in his TV at 1300 hrs. Whatever happens in the serial starts happening in his house and slowly the serial starts getting spooky. So it’s a great one time watch. But that’s not what is interesting. I have always had this issue with the way spirits are shown in movies. Except Casper, tell me about one friendly ghost you remember.

That’s why I wondered what the inherent goodness of the Ghosts in the movie were. Take for example the Lift Ghost. It understood that Madhavan did not have time to go to the gym. So it stopped functioning so that he could climb up and down the stairs to stay fit. Then let’s say the electricity Ghost. Before it died, it must have worked in my company. It was basically trying to tell the family that check your electrical wirings. It had undertaken the safety course from my company. Then there was the Newsreader Ghost. It served as a reminder to the family. Cut the Cable connection. Stick to Doordarshan for your news. And finally the Mobile Ghost. It always distorted the image the kid took of his uncle. It meant, be careful, kids these days are prone to making MMS out of everything.

The point is there is goodness in everything only if you search for it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lolz! You have given me a new sense of appreciation for 13B!I guess the subtle messages were lost on me.

Yeah and I find the Roadies female scary too!I mean a ghost is okay but yoy dont wanna piss this woman off.

Shreya said...

Haha! Know what I am laughing at? Guess guess..

Rahul said...

Yeah right!

Anonymous said...

Mr. Madban.... its awesome...
I loved the way you described each ghost in the movie like lift ghost, news reader ghost...
I enjoy this post..