January 01, 2010

Looking Back

Yes, you are right. This is the classic year end post and as much as I hate to write it, I think the year deserves a post to itself. Also a friend called and asked me to write – anything and something. And it’s nice for the ego to be boosted on the last day of the year.


Lots changed this year. I worked like a lunatic against all sane advice of not falling in love with the job. It’s only today that I realize that like everything in excess, this too takes its toll. Like a run down battery, the weekend would be used to recharge. But that’s not the point. On the last day of the year one should be thankful of all the good things that have happened in one’s life. And I have many to be thankful for.


But let me not bore you with my life. Because on the last day of the year the only one emotion you should have is that of hope. I still remember as a kid, I never realized what the fuss was all about the New Year. On the 1st of Jan, nothing used to change in my life. It’s only when I grew up I understood its significance. In marketing terminology, it’s called the power of a ritual.


When you see the calendar change, you begin to feel a new hope that everything will turn for the better. We do not celebrate mornings as they come everyday. But a New Year comes once in 365 days. That allows this day to become a ritual. And therein stays the power of this day, Tomorrow anything might happen. It’s a New Year after all.


Hope, the greatest intoxicant in my life and it helped me tonight as well. Around half an hour back I was playing with my music player and suddenly “Wish you were here” started playing. Searing pain ripped through my very existence for no rhyme or reason. There was a crazy sense of loss – I do not know for what or for who but I knew one thing. My last hours of 2009 would not be like this.


So as I switched on the laptop for this post, I hoped for redemption. And it came in the form of music itself –

Jaane kyun dil jaanta hai

Tu hai to I ll be all right

I ll be all right

I ll be all right


Thanks for being there dear reader. Knowing that you all are reading helps me to write even when creativity loses track in the woods.

7 comments:

K said...

"Hope the greatest intoxicant of my life". Simply brilliant. Happy New year Banjo!

Meow said...

:) Even I don't have that flair to celebrate new year.. Anyway.. HAPPY NEW YEAR Banjo :)

Champak J S said...

Hi..nice post..first peep into the blog world and I juz happened to cross ur stop!! A brilliant begining for me! Happy New Year to u!!!

Madhurjya (Banjo) Banerjee said...

Thanks everyone :) Wish you all a great new year as well.

Aalap said...

Pathetic... New Year party beckoning, junta around waiting for you to spice up the atmosphere, and you are writing emotional posts...

Actually, fitting end to your year...

Aparna Warrier said...

Never appreciated that song until now :)
Cheers, Banjo!

G V S Prasad said...

Good post, Banjo da! Have a wonderful year ahead :)