November 02, 2009

In The End

I lay beneath her feet,

Hands tied,

Gagged

Ready to be slaughtered.


In her eyes I saw my death.

And yet, in those final ethereal moments,

It seemed as if I looked upon her,

For the first time


Majestic, Resplendent,

Without a shade of pity,

She looked down from her pedestal.

And then I saw what I suspected.


Her crown lay in shreds,

Her throne a shadow of her past

Her campaigns unfruitful,

Her ego shattered.


Long years of pain had smeared her face

With lines of agony and strife

I searched for the peace I had seen once

And suddenly my mind travelled back.


I remembered the day

I stormed out of the great halls

Leaving behind what was mine for the taking

To lose myself into nothingness


And yet thoughts of her came gushing

Crossing the insurmountable peaks

Mistress of deceit, she sent them again and again

To bring me back in chains.


Her forfeited conquests

Her lonely nights in the arms of other men

Her battles that raged more within her

Than without.


She needed one victory,

The one that would sooth her soul

And make her lose herself

In the fumes of vanity.


In nothingness I had found nothing

And so I went back,

Like the prince,

Ready for battle.


It raged through night and day

And she fought well

And then when she believed it wasn’t fake

I laid down my guard.


I laid down my guard

For the last time

Hoping against hope

And yet I knew.


She drove the spear in with all her might

Laughing hysterically

And then suddenly she stopped

And dropped dead beside me.


Her heart that once beat inside me,

Throbbed once more.

She never would know

That she had already given it to me


And yet in her bosom, lay mine,

Still beating, still crying,

Till I silenced it for the last time

With the same spear.


8 comments:

Shreya said...

Destroyed in love. Beautiful.

Gaurav Jain said...

Perfect heart transplant... with Wi Fi connection.. This poem would have been written in 2036?

Unknown said...

AHHWESOME! That left me speechless!

Kavity said...

Lovely!

ramya kumar said...

Maybe I didn't like this because this mood is uncharacteristic of your writing. Perhaps from another pen, it would have won me over.

Shrutz said...

Depressing.

nibedita said...

very nice :)

Madhurjya (Banjo) Banerjee said...

and I am confused :) Thanks everyone