August 29, 2007

My India

Sis never fails to surprise me. Be it a sudden phone call, be it her memory and attention to the most minute of details, she is always one step ahead of the smartest people I have met in my life. But yesterday she surprised me by sending in this picture.






They say pictures speak a thousand words. This picture perhaps sums up all that I have tried to say in my blog about the floods in Bihar all this while.





There are some people in this world who have the ability to laugh at anything life throws at them. And in these parts of India I have found such people aplenty. There are problems I admit, but then very few things in this world are perfect. We can opt to crib about what we do not have or fruitlessly blame the system or we can take a cue from people who are fighters to the very end. I have seen similar tales of grit and determination over the last few months. I have seen the same smile on the faces of people forced to abandon their homes.





At least the gentleman in the picture saved his last precious possession. I have seen Gandak destroy everything and everyone along its banks.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank u!!! You touched the heart...

TV said...

Excellent picture, poignant commentary

mediavigil said...

Great picture! kudos to the photographer.