May 11, 2011

May the 4th be With You


I believe in Jedi Knights. I believe that Yoda looks after young padawans. Sometimes I feel like Obi-Wan. Sometimes like a lost Sky Walker.

But whatever happens, I believe that it is within us to believe that the force is with us. May 4th and Star Wars is probably the greatest PJ ever created on earth but for the believers it means so much more when their official beginning of their working life happens to be around that day.

This year, the week of May Fourth was important as it was also the fourth year of my active employment. I know the celebrations are due for next year but when in the fourth year itself, you feel a little lost and a lot tired, you wanna look up at the Stars.

The week had started well. On the exact day I completed my fourth year, I was out in the small hen-coops of Mumbai which pass as houses talking to consumers about their kids, their holidays and their life in general. That’s what keeps me going even till this date and then slowly things started unravelling.

But the point is not about what went wrong. The point has always been what’s gone right. And how happy you can be with what’s happening around you. It was late in the night. We just had come back from a stressed out meeting. But when I walked on the paved boulevards of Marine Drive, I could feel the sea telling me, “All is well. It’s a Friday Night after all.”

The Teacher had come to meet me the other day. And these days when all seems lost I think about the time we spent together in the 1 BHK overlooking a putrid canal wondering about life. His first charts as a teacher, his vacillation, my worried support. It was a strange time. And in my uneventful life, it was almost akin to the renunciation of the prince of Kapilavastu. All through my life I have met heroes – normal people who stood up and did something that surprised every bit of conventional wisdom in the book. Heroes are human, very human, with every little failing our kind is prone to. But when you know them you want to believe. I am not a hero, my ex roommate is :) But what I can do is be the chronicler – the Callisthenes to the Alexander.

It’s been a long day and I am tired. Tomorrow I have to head to office, search hard for the grey matter within the cranium and figure out a way to make sense of the world around me.

But you know what the world around is not a bad place to be. Last Saturday when I was breaking my head over numbers and had in a moment of desperation cribbed in public, Juicy Girl raised up her antenna, felt my distress across the airwaves, (not for the work, but for lack of caffeine) and led me to the secret chamber of nectar. I know good people :)

And if you are reading this, “May the Fourth be with you to show you the path you so desperately seek.”

No comments: